Wednesday, May 15, 2013

On My Nightstand

After finishing Michael Pollan's Cooked I began Chad Robertson's Tartine (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2010). Robertson was mentioned in Pollan's section on air/bread as a bread maker who took his baking seriously. It is a beautifully crafted book that is filled with the story of how Robertson became a baker and his search for the perfect loaf. Bread that causes line-ups for his product at his bakery in Berkeley, California. The book has inspired me to try my hand at baking my own bread with a wild yeast starter. Over the years I have tried making my own bread, both by hand and in bread machines, but I have never tried to make my own starter and after reading both Pollan and Robertson's books I want to try. 
Continuing in the food vein is Laura Shapiro's Something From the Oven: Reinventing Dinner in 1950s America (New York: Viking, 2004). Shapiro looks at cooking, kitchens and housewives in the 1950s and the battle by big food to try to get housewives to buy their products. In one chapter she studies how big food tried to figure out why cooks would not buy their frozen products discovering that  how women interpreted those who used such products. It is a light and fun study of post-war cooking as it changed that focuses on some of the women and products and contests used to fuel this change. 


No comments:

Post a Comment