Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Pin, Pin, Pin



For the past couple of weeks I have been playing around with Pinterest scouring the net for photos to add to the many folders I have created. It really is a great website allowing users to store anything image related in an online format. Unlike other image web storage, Pinterest allows the user to store not only the image but where it is located online. This means you don't have to recreate all the information about the file and when you want to look it up again you can find more information about the image. My pinterest site: https://www.pinterest.com/rjgilmour/

Roman encaustic on wood mummy portrait of a young man with wreath from Fayyum, Egypt, 1st-3rd century AD.:
Sarah Atkinson (painting with tar and beeswax) Like encaustic beeswax, I wonder? And tar? Those paintings must be STICKY.:
While browsing through Pinterest images I began looking at examples of encaustic painting. It involves using wax and pigment to create paintings. Funny enough it is a medium and technique I have admired over the years but that I never studied while in art school. In painting classes we learned almost every other technique but this one. Looking at what can be done with encaustic painting I realize that the medium and technique captures all that I like about painting, so I need to begin exploring it as a medium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment