Thursday, December 17, 2015

Whirlwind Trip


On Tuesday afternoon my Mom called with news that the hospital had her scheduled in for a pacemaker on Wednesday. So yesterday I drove down to London so I could spend the night with her after she came out of the hospital. Sadly, I was unable to book a car at my local place, which is located at Billy Bishop airport and had to use their other downtown location at Yonge and Bloor. The rental place was located deep in the bowels of one of the parking garages and was truly hidden away like in a labyrinth. 

Luckily, the drive down was nice because the weather here has been so nice and clear. Normally this time of year, visibility drops and the roads are treacherous because of cold, ice and snow, but yesterday and today they were clear as a bell. I also discovered that the car did have Sirius which is always a plus, allowing me to listen to Seth Rudetsky, On Broadway my favourite satellite station. Sadly, once I arrived in London, we spent most of the day waiting in the hospital for Mom to be called. The spent the rest of the evening waiting for them to finish. Finally she came out and although she had been told the procedure was simple, she found herself, tired, bruised and in a great deal of pain. 

Driving her home I settled her in then drove over to Archie's for some fish and chips. I didn't know that they had not only take out but also a drive through window. We sat in front of the tv having our fish and chips, she wasn't allowed to eat anything all day, both exhausted from the day. Finally she went to bed for a restless night because of the pain in her chest and left arm. I awoke in the morning early to make sure she was ok and then readied myself for the trip back to Toronto. I knew it was going to be a long drive because I was driving into the morning rush with everyone else heading into Toronto. Driving back it took 3 1/2 hours from door to door and I was glad to drop off the car, rush downtown to pick up some rum balls from Mr.T and head over to the clinic for the last shift of this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment