Friday, April 15, 2016

Garden Weather



This morning after yoga I walked over to Chinatown craving some dim sum. Because it was becoming such a lovely day I decided to have some dim sum at Rol San. I opted for just two dishes my favourite shrimp rice rolls and some fried shrimp. After a quick lunch I walked home and decided to turn over our raised garden beds in the back. We have two raised beds both about 3' wide and about 12' long one on the north side and one on the south side that run the length of our backyard. Because of their different locations they are different gardens, the more northern getting more intense light and the southern a more subdued light throughout the summer. Because of this over the years we have learned to plant anything that requires more sun, like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, pumpkins or cucumber on the north side, leaving the south side for more shade loving herbs, spinach, onions, chives, kale, swiss chard and beans.

Today I just turned the soil over digging down deep below the beds flipping over the soil and breaking up any lumps. I then raked out everything trying to even the beds then began the tedious process of cleaning it out by hand pulling out leaves, roots and anything else that found its way into the garden over the past winter. It is so nice to finally get my hands back in the soil to begin the process of bringing our garden back to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment