Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Reading & Remembering



This past week I have been really enjoying Cynthia Carr's biography of David Wojnarowicz, Fire in the Belly. The book looks at his life and work and the community of the East Village in the 1980s. In order to contextual Wojnarowicz and his work Carr looks at the rise of the East Village art community during the 1980s and 1990s. The best biographers, like Carr, know how important it is to place individuals in a larger social context, in essence crafting not only a biography of the person but a specific group or place. Reading the book I have come across familiar names and places, some I knew of, some I knew and a few I didn't. I recommend the book for anyone interested the work of Wojnarowicz, the East Village art scene or queer culture during that period.  



One artist I didn't know anything about is Greer Lankton a transfemale who made the most amazing sewn three dimensional sculptures in the form of dolls. Ironically enough I remember seeing her work in the East Village in the late 1980s, and thinking they were absolutely marvellous. It is nice so many years later to finally know who made these amazing creations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment