Saturday, March 25, 2017

Writing Jag


The past couple of weeks I have spent every spare minute I have writing. After we moved into the house years ago I was curious about all those who came before. To that end I began going to the City of Toronto Archives to look through City Directories and assessments for lists of previous residents. While I was doing this work I decided to collect the information about the residents of a few others houses next door. I never knew exactly what I was going to do with the information but thought it would make a really interesting book that I began but never finished. 

I don't know why, but lately I decided to pick it up again and it seems it is almost writing itself. It is wonderful when the work just flows out of you and I am really enjoying taking the data from my database of names and weaving them together into a narrative about the house. To help with the project I decided to sign up with ancestry.ca for a limited membership. While ancestry doesn't have the assessments online, I needed those to discover the names who lived where and when, they do have all the census and city directories online. This means when I have the names, occupations and approximate ages, all things listed in the assessments, I can usually find the right person in the ancestry records. 

No comments:

Post a Comment